Our Zone Chart (Rifle ONLY) for you to decide where to get your Buck
We list only the Unrestricted Zones. The premium zones are generally not available due to limited Tag quotas, and we do not include them on the map. See bottom of this page for list of Premium Zones.
* Zones C, D12, and D17 are premium zones for 20111) Premium" zone/hunt tags are only issued through the Big Game Drawing using a First-Deer Tag Drawing Application, except that junior hunters may use their Second-Deer Tag Drawing Application to apply for Apprentice (J) Hunts. Hunters will lose all accumulated deer preference points if drawn for their first choice in the Big Game Drawing.;
Public Lands for Deer Hunting Listed
A Zone Blacktail Deer:
Cache Creek Wilderness Area. 70,000 acres of BLM managed lands and 4,700 acres of State and County lands. Click on the Marker near in Lake County to get link and detailed info.
Jackson State Forest offers 48,000 acres located on Highway 20 between Willits and Fort Bragg.
Click on Markr in Mendocino County for detailed info.
Indian Valley Reservoir is located in eastern Lake County. Click on Marker in Lake County for detailed info.
Knoxville State Wildlife Area is located on the Lake and Napa County line.Click on Marker in Lake County for detailed info.
Zone A Mendocino National Forest holds large numbers of deer. Click on the marker in Mendocino County to get detailed information.
Camp Roberts - Call (805-238-8167).
Fort Hunter Liggett - Call (831-386-2214).
B Zone Blacktail Deer:
There are six B zones:
Top Late Season Deer Hunts:
1) Goodale Buck Hunt
2) Doyle Muzzleloader Buck Hunt
3) Bass Hill Archery Buck Hunt:
4) Kern River Deer Herd Buck Hunt
5) Anderson Flat Archery and General Buck Hunt
6) Covelo Archery Buck Hunt
The Public Lands are BLM and Military properties known to hold Deer, and we'll give you contact info so you can gain access.
Premium Deer Tags are:C, D12 and D17; X1, X2, X3A, X3B, X4, X5A, X5B, X6A, X6B, X7A, X7B, X8, X9A, X9B, X9C, X10 and X12; G1, G3, G6, G8, G9, G12, G13, G19, G21, G37, G38 and G39; M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, M8, M9, M11, MA1 and MA3; A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, A9, A11, A12, A13, A14, A15, A16, A20, A21, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30 and A33; and J1, J3, J4, J7, J8, J9, J10, J11, J12, J13, J14, J15, J16, J17, J18, J19, J20 and J21.